Any questions, comments, contributions, ideas etc

email me kikivseveryone(at)gmail.com

Search (and Destroy)

Friday

Kiki Vs Sell-Outs

No one is disputing that we'd all like to see our hard working favourite bands succeed. We are there to support them, go to their shows, buy their shirts and tell our friends about them. It's what we, as fans, do. We give as much as we get back. These things work both ways.

Sometimes they forget these simple facts. Perhaps they forget we pay their wages? That we keep their dream alive?

Warning: Rant to follow!

I guess I am naive. Some of the things I've come to realise since starting this blog have both surprised and disappointed me. I've decided it's time to start calling out some of the double standards and naming some of the sell-outs.

Sure, I'm not Kerrang! Magazine, Rolling Stone or any other major press outlet. But, I started this blog because I am a genuine music fan; I love music. I write this blog not only because I'm a fan, but for other fans to read and enjoy. I feel honored that I can spread news of good new bands as well as interview and review some of my favourite bands.

However, I've come to notice that some of the bands I've been fans of in the past aren't who I'd expected them to be. My eyes have been opened to those who are in this industry for a legitimate love of music and, sadly, those who simply seek fame and fortune.


I understand that sometimes bands really are too busy to email me back or to meet me for an interview. On the other hand, I'm not asking for the world. Can't make time for an interview? That's fine, just explain that you're busy. Don't do like The Blackout did and tell me your not doing any press, only for me to see you're in several magazines the following week. Take a leaf out of The Get Up Kids book and let me know that even though you're super busy, that you'll try and fit in an interview if you get a chance.

Put in layman's terms: honesty pays.

Recently I was due to interview Forever The Sickest Kids. Everything was going swimmingly until two days before the interview was due to take place when all contact was lost. Emails were sent asking to confirm times and locations were left unanswered.

This debacle with Forever The Sickest Kids is two-fold. One, I was genuinely a fan before this. I was excited at getting to ask them a bunch of questions and tell them how the blog is named after one of their songs ('Woah Oh (Me Vs Everyone)'). Secondly, I was told in no uncertain terms that it was actually me that was in the wrong.


Obviously I disputed this fact and the accusation was revoked. Unfortunately no actual reason was given for the silence prior to the interview and it doesn't change the fact that the interview didn't go ahead.

Yes, tour can be hectic and things get confusing. I know - I've been on the road with bands! But, if Hit The Lights can manage to make time to talk to independent journalists and fans, why can't Forever The Sickest Kids?! The tour manager for Hit The Lights coped just fine. They were approachable, genuine and appreciative; not rude and accusatory.

Okay okay, perhaps I'm being a little harsh suggesting that press contacts and tour managers deceptions are the band's fault, but as representatives for the bands the bands have a responsibility to vet them. If one band can have a completely acceptable press agent or manager, why do others have such a stinking attitude? If one band can take ten minutes out after a show to talk to the kids who spent their hard earned cash on tickets and merch, why are others so adverse?

All these bands we see on MTV started somewhere, had humble beginnings.  Be it an independent journalist or kids in a high school band who want to be like you, give us the respect we deserve and ditch the attitude.


Fans are a band's foundation and their building blocks to success. Without them a band will crumble. If only more bands could remember that when they don't stop to consider the fan's feelings when they're busy drinking their rider, straightening their hair before making their newest video or re-recording your favourite song with a Disney kid.





Do Have you been let down by a band? Snubbed when asking for an autograph? Then we want to hear from you! Leave your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment